Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Church in Ghana --Sunday

On Sunday I was able to attend Church in a small area in Accra. First I wasn't even sure if I was going to be able to get out of bed...I went to bed around 1:00 am fine and woke up at 6 am sick w/flu like symptoms-- you know the drill--but somehow managed to drink some tea and head out into the sticky heat for Church--about 3 hours long.

Through the translations I was able to understand portions of what was being said...but it was evident-in any language-these people were there because they really wanted to be and WOW do they have a strong faith. ! It was like no church service I could ever imagine--lots of music, authentic instruments, singing, dancing, chatting, prayer, pointing, yelling...very different. For the most part I just had to observe due to the language barrier, and the fact I was completely out of my element-but it wasn't difficult to understand the purpose for their gathering which was certainly an experience in and of itself. It was really amazing to watch this group of people worship together.

~~~During this very long and very hot service--I realized I wasn't 'sick w/malaria' (which was racing through my mind)--I was dehydrated~~~. Easy fix... I think..... Anyway...

DURING CHURCH there was a mother who stood up in front of the congregation where she spoke, sang and prayed in behalf of her baby boy. Through translation I understood her to say she wanted a better life for her baby boy who's first birthday was on this day. I watched as she spoke about her great love for her son and the opportunity that lies ahead him. She asked for him to be watched over and blessed. After the service I was introduced to this mother----and found out her son's name is Samuel. He is being adopted by a family who I have become close to over the past year and he should be arriving to his forever home here in the DSM area in the next 2-3 months. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment