Friday, April 17, 2009

Palm Tees, Banana Trees and Mangos O My!

The most impressionable car ride I have ever taken....Yesterday I was taken to a village 3+ hours away from the capital city of Accra (with many small communities along the way). First I have to say the beauty of Ghana is well...beautiful. There are so many trees producing some of the sweetest fruits I have ever tasted...the green oranges are awesome, the Mangos are soft, sweet and juicy...the pineapple, bananas are well, let's just say it would be the best fruit smoothie ever. =) I have a room full of fruit--If only I had a blender. =)

I can't express what I saw and what I quickly became a part of during my first trip to the village. There was a village/counsel meeting--for my presence. Through Pastor Gideon translating I was able to speak to the entire village that comprised of a few elders, a handful of couples/families and at least 150 children-many of which are orphans. They loved my digital camera--I took photos and showed them what they looked like--even the elders giggled like little kids seeing what they look like. I was also able to hand out clothing and suckers--WOW it was a little mob of children...I felt so loved. lol It was really cool and certainly the most rewarding experience of my life. I have to say the neatest part was the meeting where the chief of the village (prob. similar to our Governor or Mayor) stood and accepted me and my mission w/Globeserve to help the children of his village-- help support the village and find orphans permanent homes in the US. It was amazing. I gave him my business card. He gave me a coconut. I was lucky it could have been a gunia hen. Phew! I couldnt have ridden in the car for 3 hours w/a chicken...no way! Catherine, I have to give you props--I saw those crazy things and there is no way--no way!

O BTW Catherine: WE HAVE BABY SAMS ADOPTION DECREE! It will be scanned in and sent to you via E-mail so you can file w/USCIS in DSM. (please E mail me at cj_tripp@yahoo.com so I can respond w/news re: Pearl. Also good news =)

Anyway... did some shopping in the market's in Ho today...that's where I got my fruit--I think I paid about a dollar for about 20 Mangos and oranges.

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing experience! I can't wait to see some pictures.

    ReplyDelete