Thursday, April 16, 2009

I have Arrived....20 hours after leaving the US

I arrived in Ghana last night around 8:00 p.m. Ghana time. The flights were a breeze to catch/transfer so little stress. The Amsterdam airport and connection was interesting--no other words to describe it. Just interesting and everything caught my attention-I was very visually stimulated to say the least. I wish I could see the city....

Leaving the airport in Ghana was uneventful and I kept thinking...wow, that was a walk in the park---everyone said it would be crazy and chaotic. Until....I walked outside..Oh My Goodness!! It was hot and there were hundreds of people and half of them wanted to take our luggage, get us a cab or let us use their cell phone. Kristin innocently commented, "the people are so nice here". I laughed and we decided yes, they are certainly nice and willing to help --for a fee.
This morning I woke feeling refreshed and took a walk in the rain on streets.... w/no sidewalks. Busy streets--a bit scary. There were venders out but nothing I wanted...i.e. fresh fish and other ocean creatures as well as open 'shops' selling random items. It's clearly very poor and I felt spoiled as I wished I had brought older/less valuable flip flops--looking at some who didn't have anything.

We saw young children--they all waived to us or said hello and were happy as could be-- I wished I had my bags of lollipops to hand out. I'll remember that for the next walk...

I am heading to Ho today-- It's approx a 3 hour car ride....that's nothing compared to the 16 hours in the air.. =)

PS The people of Ghana have been very nice to us...and not for a "fee"--because they are truly good people. I have to say that it's odd to have doors opened for me, the men at the hotel stand when we approcah the desk, etc. A little out of my element here... =)

Carla

3 comments:

  1. It sounds amazing! Prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you arrived safely. Enjoy your trip to Ho. I am imagine you are staying at the Freedom Hotel. Wonderful people there, too! You are in our prayers for safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound like an amazing experience! You are definitely making this world a better place and your mom would be so, so proud!! As am I! :) Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete